2.20.2008

Promises, Promises...check out my new 'Dø.

I'm going to post more often. For real. Your pleas, emails, late night phone calls, and mail bombs have not gone unnoticed. A guy who's a media junkie should have more to say on the subject. So I'm going to try and do that.

Recently on a film blog I peruse I stumbled across a passing mention of a French band called The Dø. That's pronounced "doe" as in Do-Re-Mi. Yeah, they're named after the musical scale. How precious is that?



Anyway, like all good French bands, they sing in English for that full international appeal (e.g. Phoenix), though one song is in FInnish, the first language of the singer.

I'll save myself the trouble and link to a very good write-up I was able to Google:

The Dø - A Mouthful

There are comparisons to Bjork, M.I.A., The Cardigans, and Blonde Redhead, and I guess the impressive thing is that this band managed to touch on all of these theoretical influences while still carving out something distinct. There are some songs on their debut album (titled ironically, A Mouthful) that are much more delicate and stripped-down than the vibe those names might conjure up (check the banjo sound on "Stay").

Anyway, if you go to YouTube and do a search for "the do a mouthful" you should be able to find most of the songs on this album for your streaming pleasure. Here are some highlights:

Playground Hustle

At Last

Stay

Queen Dot Kong

Song For Lovers

I was able to acquire the entire album, but you'll have to do some hunting as it hasn't been released in the United States yet. They also have yet to tour outside of Europe. I've been listening to them pretty incessantly the last few weeks (along with Vampire Weekend, who don't really need my promo help at this point), and I'm expecting a pretty big breakthrough for them at some point. Join me and beat the bandwagon, or maybe we'll just have to organize a trip to France to see them play live.

Here's their first official video:

On My Shoulders

And most importantly, their MySpace page:

myspace.com/thedoband

No comments: